S E X
Steer clear of pressure situations …recognise the signs.
- Develop strategies for responding to pressure… “I have plans for the future” “I’ll wait” “I have the right to change my mind”
- Be assertive when saying NO… Be firm when communicating and your body language must also be showing the same thing. Remember you don’t need to give reasons.
- Close friends are for talking together. Share your feelings with your friends and especially with your date – you will gain greater respect for each other.
- Recognise your “comfort zone”. What’s making you uncomfortable … what is your “gut feeling” telling you?
- Seek out friends who feel the same as you do. Support each other when the pressure is on.
- Alcohol and drugs cloud your judgement, affect your decision making and can mess up your life.
- Look for positive things in yourself and go with these. Put your energy into making the best of “YOU”. This will make you feel good about yourself … and then you’ll make good decisions.
- Talk to someone like your parents or other adults you trust if you are having trouble making a decision about something. Sometimes friends don’t have all the information.
- Don’t believe the “safe sex” message. No contraceptive is 100% effective. Condoms have a failure rate of 15% – 35%.
- Pills, Spermicides, IUDs and Diaphragms can fail and have side effects.
- Self control means you’re IN CONTROL.
Value yourself as the important person you are – believe in your ability to make good decisions about your life.