The 4teenz website is produced by Open Doors Counselling and Educational Services Inc.
It is aimed at young people from about 11 – 16 and provides information and support on a range of topics to do with puberty, growing up and making safe choices as an adolescent.
Open Doors was founded in November 1984 in Ringwood, Victoria, to provide support for those concerned with crisis pregnancy and related issues. The development of preventive health education programs for schools followed as a natural corollary to the work of the counselling arm.
In 1999 the work of the Centre was acknowledged when the immediate past Executive Director, Mrs Jenny Kearney, was awarded the medal of the Order of Australia for service to youth and to lifestyle education through Open Doors Counselling and Educational Services.
Open Doors is an ecumenical Christian organisation. Education programs, resources and approaches are not religious in content but are very definitely value based. The values presented to young people are those that support the healthiest options for teenagers. In the area of sexual behaviour, the healthiest option for teenagers is to postpone sexual activity. This position is strongly supported on physical, psychological and emotional evidence.
Education Services from Open Doors
- Family based sexuality programs and presentations for primary schools
- Programs about adolescent relationships, health and sexuality for secondary schools
- Programs for primary and secondary schools teaching resilience
- Programs designed to empower parents with knowledge and skills to help their teenagers through adolescence
- Evaluation of current trends in sexuality education
- Development of multi-media resources for primary and secondary schools
- Consultancy service for schools and parents.
Education Programs from Open Doors
For School –
- Wonder of Living – 3 dvd series plus Teacher’s Manual (sex education; primary and junior secondary)
- Family Night presentations in schools (sex education; Melb Metro only)
- Working It Out – comic style student book and Teacher’s Manual (13 -15 years; life skills)
- Looking For You – dvd and Teacher’s Manual (15 – 17 years; sex and relationships education)
- Resilient Kids – CD ROM with Teacher’s Manuals (resilience training; primary and secondary versions)
- Resilience Wallet Card (secondary)
For Home –
- Resilient Kids Parent Pack – 2 CD Rom pack for home use (5 – 18 yrs; resilience, life skills)
- Conversations With Your Child – dvd (sex, puberty and growing up)
For more information about Open Doors or program details –
OPEN DOORS Counselling and Educational Services Inc
5 Greenwood Ave
Ringwood 3134 Victoria Australia
Correspondence to: P.O. Box 610 Ringwood 3134 Victoria
Ph 03 9870 7044